In today’s world, where bad news spreads faster than melted butter (hey, I just finished making biscuits!) it often feels like evil is winning. And the truth is, it might be, for now. But evil cannot prevail against God’s kingdom.
Today I sat down with Psalm 37. I’m continuing to use the Read Scripture App and this was today’s reading. As I read through all 40 verses, a common theme began to take shape.
Good triumphs and evil is defeated.
Ten times in this Psalm David tells of how the evil will be defeated. There are just the first three.
- “They will soon fade like the grass and wither like the green herb.” v.2
- “For the evildoers shall be cut off…” v.9
- “but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he sees that his day is coming.” v.13
But even better than that are the 17 times David tells of God’s promise of victory for the righteous.
- “Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” v.4
- “Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act.” v.5
- “but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land.” v.9
- “But the meek shall inherit the land and delight themselves in abundant peace.” v.11
These promises are just the beginning. Again and again God promises that righteousness will prevail and evil will be destroyed.
So today, whether it’s watching the news or watching your life, remember that Good does win. The final verse of Psalm 37 says this…
“The Lord helps them and delivers them; he delivers them from the wicked and saves them, because they take refuge in him.” v.40
Take refuge in God today. Continue seeking him and his truth and then you can live in confidence, beyond a shadow of a doubt, knowing that with Jesus victory will prevail!